Saturday, April 20, 2013

Corn and Potato Soup

I had some sweet potatoes sitting around for a long time. I actually bought them to make some Moroccan  dishes, but every time I was going to make one I was short of some ingredients. So I decided to make some simple soup.
Moroccan theme was not giving up, so this soup was a good choice. Two teaspoons of cumin and a little of chilli brought simple corn and potato soup to another level. It is not spicy, but you can feel some zing. If you do not fancy spicy or have small kids, omit the chilli. My toddler did not like the soup. I do not think chilli was to blame though, probably the consistency which reminded her of a baby food, which she never liked.For two of us the big pot was way too much. So I ended up eating leftover soup for the next 2 days for lunch. Oh yes, this  is one of those soups that only become better the next day.
For a vegan version, substitute chicken broth with vegetable stock or water.


Corn and Potato Soup

Adapted from the book 400 Soups

Serves 6
Ingredients:
15 ml/1 tbs olive oil
 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 of bird's eye chilli, finely minced
1,5 litres/6 cups of chicken  broth
2 tsp cumin seeds, ground in a mortar
1 large sweet potato, diced
2 medium white potatoes, diced 
a quarter of a red bell pepper, finely chopped
a quarter of a yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
450 g/ 1 lb frozen corn kernels
salt and freshly ground black pepper


1. Heat the oil and fry the onion for 2-3minutes until softened. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for a further 2 minutes.
2. In the same, add 300/1 1/4 cups of chicken broth and white potato. Bring  to the boil and simmer for 0 minutes.
3. Stir cumin into the soup. Add the diced sweet potato, stir and simmer for 0 minutes. Season and stir again.
4. Add the peppers, corn and the remaining broth and simmer for 10 minutes.With the help of a hand-held blender process the soup, leave some chunks for texture.
Serve with some fresh bread.


My husband really liked the soup. As he was eating he commented that some chopped shrimp would add an interesting little touch to the soup. Guess what? Next time I am making this soup with some shrimp.

I haven't tried myself yet, but I think one can freeze this soup. It might get a bit watery after thawing though. Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I love soup and can survive on it ... This is a great recipe to bookmark

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thank you